OUR GARDEN DESIGN SERVICES
Garden Design Specialties
- Shade and Woodland Gardens
- Butterfly, Bee, Hummingbird Gardens
- Vegetable Gardens
(Ornamental Potagers & Kitchen Gardens)
- English-style Perennial Borders
- Low-Maintenance Texture and Foliage Gardens
- Layered Continuous Bloom Gardens
Whether your garden is a new one or a renovation of an existing garden, garden design begin with function.
- How will your property enhance your life?
- Beauty? Edibles? Cooking? Outdoor recreation space? Nature observation?
- And practical issues like drainage, traffic flow, and safety?
We explore with you the "spirit of place," which is the inherent character of your site.
- What is unique about your land?
- What feelings does it engender? What defines your property?
- What do you want to emphasize or protect?
Design skills based on knowledge of the fine arts and ecology develop your garden plan. We carefully select reliable plant varieties with which we have become familiar over decades of land care experience. Garden conifers, blooming shrubs, and trees provide structure and solidity in your landscape. Our depth of experience in choosing plants also makes it possible to provide continuous bloom over three seasons. Using the right plant in the right place assures a sustainable landscape that requires low inputs of fertilizers, pesticides, water, and labor.
We often use native plants such as turtlehead and serviceberry and edible ornamentals like the high bush blueberry and everbearing strawberry. Bulbs, unusual heirloom plants, highly-scented and textural plants delight the senses. To encourage a garden alive with activity, we include nectar and food plants, water sources, and plant cover of value to wildlife, birds, and insects.